Pages

You're High-ness


The first time I saw the trailer I didn't have high hopes, the main character Danny McBride came across as a Tom Green wannabe...Or a potato which was brought to life by a mad scientist, only fed sugary foods and fizzy drinks and then pumped full of some sort of super-adrenaline...same difference either way.

This picture I'd painted in my mind of some mental-hyper potato jumping about on screen was then completely transformed (to an optimus prime extent) when I came across a review on imdb where someone had compared it to one of the best movies ever made within the adventure-comedy genre, The Princess Bride.

So I got out my paintbrushes and painted a new picture of Your Highness - giants, revenge, true love, pirates, swamps, R.O.U.S's? Yes please!!

Fabious (James Franco) is a warrior prince, loved by his country and favourited by his father. When he returns from a quest with his new bride the celebrations are abruptly interrupted when the evil wizard Leezar (Justin Theroux) kidnaps her. Fabious has to convince his lazy slacker brother Thadeous (Danny McBride) to join him on a quest to save his princess-to-be.

I was slightly disappointed. It IS funny in places, I'll give it that. It has enough charm to just be able to get away with having a cheeky humour. If it had lacked said charm there was definitely the danger of it having some mental potato moments.

I would say this film was not without 'stoner humour'. The film was written by the minds behind Pineapple Express (which Franco and McB were also in) and reflects a similar style of comedy. Some of it verged on crude, but most of the banter was very witty and full of memorable quotes. They chucked a few swear words in every now and then which surprisingly didn't get old...there's something funny about a knight swearing. The only part of the movie that I didn't find funny was pervy yoda...awkward!

Apart from that, Dan McB was more toned down than I expected (to around about Jack Black's level of insanity). The actors performed to a high standard and the effects were made on a big budget scale.

I personally can't compare this to Princess Bride, just like I wouldn't compare it to Monty Python and the Holy Grail - they are similar in genre, but the style and humour is more reminiscent of the themed spoof type comedies such as Tropic Thunder, Kick Ass and probably anything that Zack Galifi...something or other has been involved in.

If I had to sum up Your Highness I would say it is perfect at not being a masterpiece (in a good way).

If you like this movie WonderOri picks: Pineapple Express, This is the End, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, Superbad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment